Search This Blog
Welcome! Here you'll find retellings and explorations of stories from Bengal and across India, with a special focus on Bengali adaptations by Krittibas Ojha and Kashiram Das, among others. The journey begins with the Panchatantra and Hitopadesha, then continues through the Bengali Mahabharata, Ramayana, selected Puranas, Vikram Vetal, Thakurmar Jhuli, and more—old tales retold with fresh meaning.
Featured
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Panchatantra Book 1 - 003 - How Damanaka Won the Trust of Pingalaka
Table of Contents
The Strategy of Damanaka
Journey towards Pingalaka’s court
Damanaka heard the story of the monkey and the wedge from Karataka. After the story, they had a discussion about ambition, risk-taking and self-preservation.
While Karataka was still not fully convinced, he did not try to stop Damanaka. He wished Damanaka luck. Damanaka took leave and started walking in the direction of Pingalaka. He reached the place and was stopped by the gatekeeper. A message was sent to the lion that Damanaka had come to meet him. Pingalaka was pleased to hear that. The gatekeeper was instructed to allow Damanaka to enter. Damanaka went in close to the lion. Seeing Damanaka, Pingalaka said to the others assembled there, ‘Let me introduce Damanaka to you. His father had served me and I am so happy that he has come to meet me. Let him sit close to me, amongst the high-ranking officers of the court.’ Damanaka went and bowed to Pingalaka and took the seat offered to him. After some time Pingalaka asked Damanaka to come close to him. When he was there, Pingalaka placed a paw on Damanaka and said, ‘How are you doing? I have not seen you for many days. Is everything fine with you?’
Damanaka and Pingalaka
Damanaka said, ‘Your majesty, you have been busy and may not have felt any need for us. Your Majesty, we are there for you and think about you always. I feel that it is best to offer one’s services when needed. That is why I have come to you. There are all kinds of people around you, but not everyone is useful every time. I feel I can put myself to use now, which is why I have come here. Think of me like straw.’
Pingalaka seemed puzzled. Damanaka said, ‘Your Majesty, straw is ignored but when it is time, that straw comes in useful for picking teeth. After my father left your service, we went through hard times. We are ignored but we did not complain. If you permit, I would like to say something.’
Art of Persuasion
Pingalaka was impressed by Damanaka. He nodded and Damanaka said, ‘You need to understand the merits of all. Understand their positions and where they will be useful. If you do not, your workers will leave you. There are three reasons why servants leave their masters. When they are neglected, not properly compensated and when they do not get the kind of work they deserve. If you take a precious stone like a diamond and fit it into something inferior instead of gold, you are undermining the value of the diamond. Similarly, if a talented person does not get their due, they will leave. You said you had not seen me for a long time. That is true, because you compared me with others. If someone thinks a cheap cut of glass is a diamond and adores that, and ignores the real diamond, who would want to stay in that place? If all are treated the same, where will motivation come from? There is a mutual relationship between the ruler and those who serve him. Both cannot survive without the other. When a ruler is pleased, they give gifts. What is needed is respect. If proper respect is given, the servant will be willing to give up their life for the ruler, if needed. A servant who is truly worthy will think about the welfare of the king always and will come even if they are not thought of. That person will think of ways to remove the king’s fear, without being told to do so.’
Pingalaka looked at Damanaka. He was trying to comprehend what he had heard. Seeing this, Damanaka said, ‘Your Majesty, do not think I am a mere jackal. Silk comes from worms, gold from rocks and lotus grows in mud. Even the beautiful moon came from the ocean. It is all about merit, not about appearances. A gathering of foolish people gives no value to a king. What you need is someone capable and I am both capable and loyal.’
Pingalaka was impressed. He said to Damanaka, ‘Your father served me well. I am not sure about your capability, but because you are my old minister’s son, you have my permission to speak freely.’
Damanaka said, ‘There is something I want to say to you, but I want to speak to you in private.’
Pingalaka was not sure what the jackal wanted to say. He said, ‘Why don’t you say what you have, here?’
Damanaka said, ‘I do not think that will be good. There are some things that should not be said in public. When some things are meant just for two people and if a third person hears that, information could get leaked.’
Pingalaka nodded. Seeing this, the other animals understood. The tiger, wolves and leopards all excused themselves and walked out. Now only Pingalaka and Damanaka were there. Damanaka then said to Pingalaka, ‘Your Majesty, I saw you went to drink water and came back thirsty. What made return without having water?’
Pingalaka felt extremely embarrassed. He said, ‘Forget it. Just something trivial. I do not think that is important.’
Damanaka said, ‘If you feel it is something you should not share, that is fine. I can understand that not everything can be shared with everybody. Depending on who is affected, some things could be kept away from a spouse, relative or a friend. One who is clever will know what needs to be shared with him.’
Hearing this, Pingalaka thought, ‘He seems to be a person I can trust. I will tell him what troubles me. It is said by sharing troubles, one feels relief.’
He then said to Damanaka, ‘Listen closely. Even from here, you can hear a loud noise. It is a strange noise, not heard in this part of the jungle.’
Damanaka said, ‘Yes, I do hear it. What do you want to do with that?’
Pingalaka whispered into Damanaka’s ears, ‘I want to leave this area and go elsewhere.’ Damanaka felt irritated and asked, ‘And why would you want to do so?’
Pingalaka said, ‘This voice that you hear is a strange voice. It has never been heard in these parts. Even though it sounds mild now, when I went to drink water today, I was scared. It was a loud roar. If the voice is this powerful, then I wonder what this creature will be like.’
Damanaka said, ‘I am surprised. How can a great king like you be scared of a strange noise. You inherited this forest. How can you think of abandoning this place and its inhabitants. Even small vessels can create loud noises. The brave and courageous ones never lose their calm even when they hear terrible noises. They never retreat. There is this jackal I know who once said that what he had mistaken for a monster turned out to be a drum made of wood.’
Pingalaka wanted to know what this was about, and Damanaka began telling the lion the story of the jackal and the drum.
Analysis & Observations
Before I share the story of the jackal and the drum in the next post, I want to cover some parts from this tale.
Pingalaka is physically the strongest animal in the forest which is why he is the king. Strength has nothing to do with fear. Damanaka, who has no such physical strength, is able to manipulate the king's fear. The unknown is always more frightening than the known.
Character Breakdown
There are two characters in this part of the tale.
| Aspect | Damanaka | Pingalaka |
|---|---|---|
| Identity | A jackal; son of a former minister of Pingalaka. | The lion. Inherited the forest. |
| Strengths | He is persuasive and knows how to gain trust. | - |
| Weaknesses | - | Restless because of an unknown fear and anxious about maintaining his image. |
| Representation | An ambitious worker whose skill makes him invaluable, but whose loyalty is to his own position. | A boss who is dependent on those who manage his fears. |
When Damanaka comes to Pingalaka, he is humble, talks about value ("I am like straw"), and when he knows it is time, he makes a bid for position. This is how ambitious people behave. This is like an ambitious employee who did not get promoted. The person does not sulk. Rather, they talk to the senior management, show their humility and try to show why they are indispensable. Pingalaka is like a leader who shows confidence publicly and who, upon finding a listener, discloses more than they should.
There is a reference to the moon coming from the ocean. That is referring to the churning of the ocean, which is stated in the Puranas and Mahabharata. Chandra (moon) appeared among many other objects.
Closing Query
Before I end this, I have a question. You saw what Damanaka did. What would you have done if you were there?
Popular Posts
Panchatantra Book 1 - 002 - What the curious monkey teaches about ambition and meddling
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
What Is Niti Shastra and How Does It Guide Strategic Living Today
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
What is the Story Behind Durva Ganapati Chaturthi
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Panchatantra Book 1 - 009 - How A Cut Nose Led To A Murder Accusation
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Comments
Post a Comment