Search This Blog
Welcome! Here you'll find retellings and explorations of stories from Bengal and across India, with a special focus on Bengali adaptations by Krittibas Ojha and Kashiram Das, among others. The journey begins with the Panchatantra and Hitopadesha, then continues through the Bengali Mahabharata, Ramayana, selected Puranas, Vikram Vetal, Thakurmar Jhuli, and more—old tales retold with fresh meaning.
Featured
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Bringing Markandeya Purana Stories to the Blog
Table of Contents
Stories From the Markandeya Purana
For some time now, I have been telling stories from the Panchatantra here. That remains an important part of what I want to do on this blog.
But the Panchatantra is not the only collection of Indian stories that I want to write about.
Some years ago, I maintained another blog where I had written a number of posts based on the Markandeya Purana. That blog no longer exists, but fortunately, I still have the material from those days.
I have decided to bring some of those stories here.
The material I am bringing back is not a translation of the Markandeya Purana.
My intention is different.
I want to tell these stories in a way that makes them accessible to all while retaining the important details of the original tradition. At times, I may add some details or explanations of my own to expand a scene or make the narrative easier to follow. These additions are meant to enrich the telling, not to remove or alter the essential story. At times, however, the original text may give only a brief account of an event or mention a meeting between two characters without describing what happened in between. In such cases, I may expand the narrative using my own imagination — creating conversations, describing circumstances, or filling in details that are not present in the Purana. Whenever I take this creative liberty, I will make that clear in the relevant post.
There is, however, another point that I should make clear.
I will not be covering everything in the Markandeya Purana.
My focus will be on its stories and the lives of the characters rather than on presenting the Purana in its entirety.
For example, much of what is sometimes described as Book 2 will not be covered here. It contains a conversation between the Brahmin Mahamati and his son Sumati on subjects such as birth, death, rebirth and the different hells. I will not be going into its philosophical discussions.
Instead, I will focus on the stories.
So, I may tell the story of Ritadhwaja, Madalasa and Dattatreya, but I will not be discussing Madalasa's teachings or the story concerning Alarka and Dattatreya in detail.
Similarly, when I come to Book 3, I will not attempt to cover the Purana's account of creation in general. Instead, I will focus on the stories concerning the lives and experiences of its characters.
I want to tell their stories.
That is the approach I intend to follow throughout this series.
Why Bring Them Here Now?
There is also a practical reason.
I am currently working through the Panchatantra, and there is quite a bit of connected material that I want to complete before I move on to the Hitopadesha.
That takes time.
The Panchatantra stories are interconnected, and I would rather take the time to follow those connections properly than rush through them simply to maintain a publishing schedule.
At the same time, I have this older collection of Puranic material sitting with me.
So, why leave it unused?
Bringing these stories here gives them a new lease of life while allowing me to continue working on the Panchatantra at a pace that does justice to the material.
It also gives me an opportunity to revisit something I wrote several years ago and look at it again with a little more experience.
More Than One Kind of Story
This is also a reminder of what I want this blog to be.
Panchatantra stories are one part of Indian storytelling.
The Puranas are another.
There are stories connected with festivals and rituals, tales from the Itihasas, regional traditions and many other narratives that have been told and retold in different forms over the years.
So, alongside the Panchatantra, you will now occasionally find stories from the Markandeya Purana and, in time, material from other traditional sources as well.
The Panchatantra will continue.
These stories will simply give me another path to walk while I continue working on it.
Starting Again
In one sense, these are old stories returning to life.
They were once published on another blog. That blog is no longer there, but the material survived.
Now I am bringing those stories here, revisiting them and, where necessary, reshaping them for Babu Tells Stories.
I will also update the relevant hub pages so that these posts can be found easily alongside the other stories on the blog.
This is not an attempt to present the Markandeya Purana from beginning to end.
It is simply my way of sharing some of the stories I find interesting in it.
I hope you enjoy reading them.
Thank you for taking the time to read this, and have a wonderful day ahead.
Popular Posts
Panchatantra Book 1 - 002 - What the curious monkey teaches about ambition and meddling
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
What Is Niti Shastra and How Does It Guide Strategic Living Today
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
What is the Story Behind Durva Ganapati Chaturthi
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Panchatantra Book 1 - 009 - How A Cut Nose Led To A Murder Accusation
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Comments
Post a Comment